IGEM/SR/25 Edition 2
Hazardous area classification of Natural Gas installations
This Standard applies to all Natural Gas installations and
complements BS EN 60079-10-1 by providing detailed requirements for
the hazardous area classification of permanent and temporary
Natural Gas installations, thus providing a basis for the correct
selection and location of fixed electrical equipment in those
This Standard applies to any potential release of Natural gas
except those that may be caused by catastrophic failure such as the
rupture of a process vessel or pipeline, component failure and
similar rare events that are not predictable.
Certain aspects of the design of new plant and equipment can
affect significantly the nature and severity of the eventual
hazardous area classification.
IGEM/SR/25 is not intended to provide design details for
equipment. However, compliance with the general principles of
design will help minimize the severity of the hazardous area
New Edition - What has changed?
Significant changes have been made, including:
- the concept of negligible extent hazardous areas
- a revised methodology for ventilation of enclosures
- revised vent zoning distances, including angled and downward-
- smaller leak hole size for LP installations
- more information on zones external to building ventilators