IGEM/SR/16 Odorant systems for gas transmission and distribution
This standard covers the safe operation and design of systems
designed to add odorant to gas in transmission and distribution
This standard covers the safety aspects of handling bulk
supplies of odorant for gas systems containing either Natural Gas
or LPG. It applies in full to new odorant installations and in part
to existing installations. Small scale odorisation is not within
the scope of this Standard, although some guidance is provided. It
also does not address temporary systems, but it is recommended that
temporary systems are constructed in accordance with the principles
of this Standard. Specifically it covers:
- Legal considerations such as Gas Safety (Management)
Regulations and Pipelines Safety Regulations.
- Design considerations of the odorisation process, mechanical
and electrical concerns, along instrumentation and site
- Construction, installation and testing of all aspects of the
- Commissioning procedure.
- Operation, including control and monitoring of odorant
injection rate, verification of odour intensity and tanker
- Maintenance including periodic patrol schedule along with
flushing and purging.
- De-commissioning of the system
- Safety, including process, personal and fire safety.
- Security measures.
- Dealing with leakage/spillage.
- Waste disposal.
- Record keeping and access.