IGEM/SR/14 Edition 2
Fixed volume storage for lighter than air gases
IGE/SR/14 Parts 1 and 2 are now obsolete are a have been
superseded by IGEM/SR/14 Edtion 2.
This standard describes the safety concerns present when dealing
with fixed volume storage, along with any associated valves or
pipework, for gases that are lighter than air.
This standard covers the safety aspects of design, construction,
commissioning, operation, maintenance, decommissioning, inspection,
modification and repair of horizontal vessels and buried pipe
arrays for the storage of fuel gases with a specific gravity of
less than 0.7, along with associated pipework and valves. It does
not cover pressure raising or pressure reduction plant.
Specifically, this standard relates to storage associated with
transmission and distribution systems, and draws attention to those
aspects of fixed volume storage design, operation and maintenance
which have a direct bearing on safety. It covers:
- Legal considerations such as the Health and Safety at Work etc
Act and the Pipelines Safety Regulations.
- Site location and layout.
- Fire prevention and precautions.
- Security measures.
- Design, including pipework, valves and fittings.
- Noise concerns.
- Instrumentation and electrical safety precautions.
- Testing, such as hydrostatic or pneumatic.
- Commissioning and decommissioning, including purging
- Safe operation protocols.
- Inspection and maintenance procedures.
- Repairs and modifications.
- Record keeping and accessibility