Supporting the gas industry since 1863
Sign In


The following is intended to provide visitors with advice on general questions about IGEM and the Gas Industry.

  • What do I do if I think I can smell gas?

    If you think you can smell gas:

    • Turn off the supply at the control valve
    • Open doors and windows
    • Do not use naked flames
    • Do not turn electrical switches on or off or use a mobile phone
    • Do not smoke
    • Call 0800 111 999 at any time, day or night, to get in touch with trained operators

    If a gas main is dug up or breached, contractors should call the emergency helpline number on 0800 111 999.

  • Does IGEM have any information on Carbon Monoxide?

    IGEM has always recognised the important safety issue of preventing the release of carbon monoxide (CO) into enclosed spaces, for example the home or the workplace. IGEMs members are active in a range of safety-related panels within IGEM, and within other organisations such as BSI and government departments. Here, the issues of efficient combustion of gas and the provision of suitable flueing and adequate ventilation are recognised as paramount in the installation and maintenance of gas appliances and associated equipment.

    IGEMs members are also active in groups considering Gas Safety legislation and Installer competence as both play a major part in promoting the safe installation and maintenance of gas appliances and associated equipment.

    Information on CO safety can be found on the following websites:

    Department of Health
    Heath and Safety Executive
    The Carbon Monoxide and Gas Safety Society
    Gas Safe Register

    Specialist support on CO incidents and investigations can be obtained from our Professional Consultants at

  • Who carries out gas work?

    At home and in the workplace, gas work should be carried by persons who are Gas Safe Registered. Please visit their website for more information.

    Work on Natural Gas Transmission, Distribution and Service pipes (the pipes in the ground outside the home or workplace) is carried out by Gas Transmission/Distribution Companies.

    For more information on the above, visit the HSE's website.

  • What role does IGEMs technical Department fulfill within the gas industry?

    Please visit the Technical homepage.

  • Who is my gas supplier?

    There are many suppliers to choose from, regardless of where you live in Great Britain. Most consumers can choose separate companies to supply their gas and electricity, or you can choose one company to supply both. USwitch have a website to help find the best deals.

    Note: Gas suppliers are not gas distribution or transmission companies. Supply companies and distribution companies are different entities.

    To complain about a gas supplier (in the UK or Northern Ireland) IGEM would suggest following the guidance listed on the Citizen's Advcie Bureau website.

    Note: When using this website, the appropriate territory needs to be selected to ensure the correct information is obtained.

    Most of the UK's gas is transported by either National Grid, Northern Gas Networks, Scotland Gas Networks, Southern Gas Networks or Wales & West Utilities, so to find out your gas supplier call 0870 608 1524 .

  • I cannot find the answer to my query above, can IGEMs technical department help me?

    IGEM will assist as far as possible with any query we are asked, that is in event we are not able to help, we will recommend someone who we think will. Queries can either be submitted by:

  • Gas meter installations - non domestic meter housing ownership

    Gas meter installation housing/building is the property of the consumer or landlord, as appropriate, not the gas supplier unless arrangements are otherwise in place.

    The gas meter installation is normally the property of the gas supplier and usually the gas supplier will have made arrangements under their licence conditions for a meter asset manager (MAM) to service and maintain that equipment.

    The MAM will, as part of their responsibility inspect the meter housing/building to ensure its suitability for the continued operation and safety of the installation. In the event that the housing/building requires maintenance or does not meet the requirements for its safe operation then the owner will receive a letter explaining the work that needs to be undertaken and requesting confirmation of its completion.

    The requirements for gas meter installation housing/building are set out in IGEM Standard IGEM/GM/8 Part 2 Locations, housings and compounds.

     NB The requirements for domestic meter installations are set out in BS 6400.